Sunday, July 22, 2012

Week 7: Crania and beyond

Wednesday 7/18
Well this was week was quite uneventful. I did the usual: sat in my medium sized cubicle and cataloged ledger records. Not so exciting. In order to pass the time, I listened to music on Pandora and occasionally browsed the internet for fun and amusing facts on whatever topic I am cataloging. On Wednesday, most of the records I cataloged were Crania or Calvaria. Calvarium/calvaria is a Latin word used to describe a skull that is missing the lower jaw or mandible. The records for the next 200 or so entries were pretty much from the same place, Channel Islands of Southern California. Seems as though all of the skeletal materials from this place were arranged in the ledger by part. I finished up the day by completing 43 records and moved onto the Mandibles.

Thursday 7/19 and Friday 7/20
On Thursday, I started on the Mandibles or Mandibula (Latin word form) records. There weren't too many Mandibles. I also cataloged the other bones such as the Humerus, Scapula, Clavicle, Unla, Radius, and Os coxae (pelvic bone). The individual bone entries were rather short so I was able to complete up to record 400!

On Friday, I cataloged Femur and Tibia bones. I completed 53 more entries, which left me at record number 453! I was also able to leave work early to go see The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX at the National Museum of Natural History!



No comments:

Post a Comment